Blind Trust White 2022
This year’s combination of varietals offers a bright, vibrant display of acidity and fruit flavours. This classic blend offers a nose of pink grapefruit and white lily along with peach and lime zest.
Our winemaking choices for this vintage include whole cluster pressing for a fresh fruit profile and partial malolactic fermentation to provide a soft, round texture on the palate. Much of our winemaking approach relies on blending which brings together the unique characteristics of each varietal and creates layers of flavours and complexity. As well, we employ a range of fermenting strategies including neutral French oak barrels and puncheons which accounted for 69% of the blend and aged for 6 months. The remaining 31% was fermented in stainless steel.
If you want to blind taste the Blind Trust, read no further. Spoiler alert: the blend is 67% Sauvignon Blanc, 33% Sémillon Blanc
The 2022 season kicked off late with a cool start to the season and finished with an amazingly warm and dry fall. The microclimates within the vineyards played a large role in the ripening of different varietals as the right slope and aspect can help collect warmth on the cooler days. Bud break and flowering was delayed by about two weeks with the cool weather, but August and September came through with higher-than-average temperatures which luckily lasted through most of October as well, ensuring that our late-ripening reds matured.
We harvested our first fruit on September 21st for our traditional method sparkling wine, Chardonnay from our Thomas Ranch vineyard in OK Falls. The vines produced close to average yields despite our extra crop thinning efforts to ripen the fruit in what we thought could be a shorter window. The hot and dry weather in October was invaluable, resulting in more intense aromatics in our late ripening whites and reds with concentration and finesse. Expect to see wines with more natural acidity and balance this vintage.
2 sites on the Naramata Bench plus our Perfect Hedge Vineyard in Osoyoos.